This ONE year birthday session was so much fun! He really did fantastic. He loved the balloon more than the cake, but we all have our loves which makes us all special!
I love capturing one year old toddlers because they have so much personality at this age. As a mother myself I know that they understand so much of what were saying to them, but they just can’t express in words what they want or need. The use their body and expressions to show you how they feel.
Watching their reactions to my studio style setup, that I bring into their home, including my big umbrella light. The exaggerated blinks they give when the light flashes amuses me. Typically it doesn’t take long for them to get used to that part. At this point I have chosen to be a traveling photographer vs. a studio based one. I think there’s something to be said about not having to pack up your child and bring them into a strange place for photos. There is nothing like the comfort of their home!
Some advice for parents that may be coming upon a milestone like a ONE year birthday would be:
- Definitely have a professional capture them! They grow so quickly and you will be glad you did.
- Understand that when you hire a professional photographer that specializes in babies and young children we know what to expect by expecting nothing. I prepare and plan out my sessions but, I know having a plan doesn’t mean I can’t be flexible. After all the subject at this age is usually the BOSS!
- Try to relax and have fun with it! They may or may not smile. It’s okay. We all have times that we just aren’t in the mood
- They may need a good 10-20 minutes to warm up or they may be done in 20 minutes.
- Give them something sweet prior to the session maybe a few weeks ahead. Try about once a week. That way they understand what sweet taste like prior to having cake for the first time.
Jennifer Mehling Photography, LLC is Cobb County based in Marietta, but serves all surrounding areas including Roswell, Kennesaw, Sandy Springs, Woodstock, Acworth, Alpharetta and other surrounding Atlanta metro areas.